In 2003 Ameresco began a comprehensive energy savings and building improvement program (ESPC) by the Clarkstown Central School District (CCSD) representing over $7 million of building improvements.
“The primary focus of every school administrator should be to provide learning environments that are comfortable, safe, healthy, and productive. We saw an opportunity to advance these goals… Without requiring taxpayer financial support.”
– Frank Stefanelli
Director of Facilities, Clarkstown Central School District
Million Square Feet Facility Size
Million ESPC Energy Project Size
ECMs Implemented District Wide
ESPC Annual Energy Savings
Through the energy infrastructure agreements made by Ameresco, CCSD was able to enhance the learning environment for students and staff. The use of an Energy Savings Performance Contract provided guaranteed funding from energy savings, instead of increasing school taxes.
- New energy efficient building equipment
- Upgrades to 17 district buildings
- Funding provided by guaranteed energy savings, not increased taxes
- Assistance in obtaining Energy Star Certification
- Installed WeatherBug weather station with supplemental curriculum software
- Two $5,000 scholarships awarded by the Ameresco Better Schools Partnership
Following a detailed analysis of the district’s energy use and facilities, Ameresco designed and implemented 14 energy conservation measures for CCSD. These measures included lighting improvements, boiler replacements, HVAC upgrades, and the installment of solar panels.
- Energy management system installed to monitor and control usage
- Roof replacements with insulating layer
- Replaced motors on mechanical equipment
- Installed vending machine controls to power-down the machines when not in use
- Cogeneration system