The Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) and Ameresco partnered to optimize the facility’s energy usage, improving the region’s water supply and management system.
“Recovering the hidden fuel in our wastewater treatment processes helps to diversify our energy portfolio, while improving the environment through innovative, green technology.”
– Howard Neukrug
Water Commissioner, Philadelphia Water Department
Million Gallons Facility Size
Million Energy Project Size
MW Project Capacity
Energy Savings Over Contract
PWD was able to reduce annual energy costs and utilize more renewable energy resources. With the improvements made, The City of Philadelphia takes a large step towards achieving its goals outlined in Mayor Nutter’s Greenworks Plan.
- Provided secure source of renewable energy
- Project received $17 million in incentives, lowering cost to taxpayers
- Economic Opportunity Plan brought green jobs to local community
- Saves the Equivalent of 27,870 tons of CO2 per year
PWD and Ameresco partnered in a $47.5 million project to design, build, and maintain an innovative wastewater biogas-to-energy facility cultivating a more efficient energy approach.
- Effective wastewater and stormwater management systems
- System for refining and utilizing biogas as fuel for facility equipment
- Generate supply of electricity and thermal energy for use on-site