Faced with critically deteriorated HVAC systems, Newport News Public Schools (NNPS) turned to Ameresco for a performance-based energy services contract. NNPS used the performance contract as a springboard for their commitment to responsible environmental stewardship district wide. To reduce energy consumption costs, Ameresco worked with NNPS to develop a plan that invested the energy cost savings in the funding of various infrastructure improvement projects.
“Despite the large scope and extended period of execution (18 months) with occupied school buildings, Ameresco lived up to their promises of providing quality service and products with minimal disturbance to the on-going business of the school division. I would recommend Ameresco to other organizations interested in pursuing performance-based energy services contracts.”
– Keith S. Webb
Executive Director, NNPS
Facility Size (50 Buildings)
Annual Energy Reduction
Annual Energy Savings (Phase 3)
Energy Project Size
Through the life of the contract, NNPS is expected to save over $1,000,000 annually in energy costs as a result of the work completed in phase 3. The infrastructure improvements demonstrate the Schools’ ongoing commitment to environmental stewardship. As evidenced by Energy Star Designation, NNPS used the performance contract, not as an end unto itself, but as a springboard into numerous initiatives.
- Energy efficiency and operational cost savings
- Enhanced comfort for building occupants
- 4,500 metric tons of CO2 offset annually
- U.S. EPA Energy Star Designations
- Phase 1: Renovation of Denbigh High School; and district wide measures such as lighting system improvements and controls, building envelope improvements, energy management systems, equipment/pipe insulation, waste oil heaters, and HVAC system replacement
- Phase 2: 85-mile fiber-optic installation of the entire District – 42 school and 13 city buildings to deliver high speed internet services and voice over internet telephone systems, enabling NNPS to conduct distance learning through live video streaming
- Phase 3: Included LED lighting district wide, HVAC renovation and replacement in two elementary schools, water conservation, controls upgrades throughout, chiller and on-demand hot water installations and bi-polar ionization for clean, fresh air