In 2009, Ameresco was awarded an ESPC task order for the design, construction and operation of three biomass-fueled cogeneration plants at the DOE Savannah River Site (SRS) to replace the existing 1950s-era coal powerhouse and oil-fired boilers. In 2014, Ameresco was awarded a modification to the contract to construct an additional biomass steam plant to provide additional reliability for mission critical steam and to reduce peak demand load from additional power generation. The Energy as a Service (EaaS) project was constructed under the largest renewable ESPC and the facility is the largest biomass cogen of its type in operation in Federal market.
SRS is recognized as a long-term national asset in the areas of environmental stewardship, innovative technology, national security and energy independence. It acts with an inspired workforce and mature, efficient management processes, while sustaining public confidence in our people and capabilities.
Square Mile Facility Size
Million Task Order Award, 2009
Million Task Order Award, 2014
Annual Energy Savings
Ameresco operates and maintains the 20 megawatt(MW) electric capacity biomass-fueled steam cogeneration plant and two smaller biomass-fueled plants at the DOE Savannah River Site. The facility has been operational since January 2012.
- Over 2 million MBtu/year of thermal renewable energy production and a minimum generation of 77 million kWh of green power
- Annual energy reductions of approximately 500,000 MBtu/year
- Decrease of water intake from the Savannah River by 1.4 billion gal/year, supporting water conservation efforts in the region
The Ameresco Biomass Cogeneration Facility was contracted under the DOE Biomass and Alternate Methane Fuel (BAMF) Energy Savings Performance Contract. The project was constructed under the largest renewable ESPC and the facility is the largest biomass cogeneration facility of its type in operation in the Federal sector.
- Woody biomass and bio-derived fuels are the primary fuel source for the boilers.
- Biomass is used to fuel two steam boilers capable of producing 240,00 lb/hr of high pressure steam, and to power a steam turbine with nameplate capacity of 20MW of electricity
- The facility generates onsite electricity and steam for SRS mission-critical site needs used in SRS’s industrial processes and building heating systems