Beckfoot Trust is a Multi-Academy Trust family of ten schools, primary, secondary & special, in the Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK. The Trust’s vision is No Child Left Behind and they aim to create remarkable schools that represent the communities they serve. The Trust runs 10 schools on 9 sites with over 7,000 pupils. The Trust’s estate includes Victorian buildings and modern schools built through Private Finance Initiatives.
The Trust have committed themselves and their resources to becoming a more sustainable and energy efficient organisation, and have developed an Environmental Strategy built around this aim and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals for the benefit of the whole community. The project with Ameresco forms a key part of this planning.
“We are grateful for the support of our schools and to a dedicated team across our Trust and of course Ameresco project managers and contractors for their planning, collaboration and driving this work forward. They have worked sensitively and flexibly over the last year under COVID working conditions. We are excited about the opportunities to use these newly installed systems, such as solar PV, to educate and inspire our young people, and the wider community, about the environment, climate change and sustainability as we approach Climate Change Conference of the Parties, COP26, in November 2021.”
– Chris Burland
Operations Director, Beckfoot Trust
Annual CO2 Reduction
Annual Energy Savings
By implementing the improvements provided by the project’s ECMs, Beckfoot Trust will benefit from a significant upgrade to its energy infrastructure. Through this Re:Fit project, Ameresco will deliver long term carbon, energy and cost savings. This will help to improve the welfare and comfort of Beckfoot Trust’s pupils and staff.
- Significant reduction in carbon emissions (282 tonnes per year)
- Annual energy savings of over 1.3 MWh and 25% reduction in annual energy costs (£92K)
- Significant reduction in annual energy and maintenance costs
- Improved comfort levels for staff and pupils
- Optimal use of Beckfoot Trust funding
- Upgrades to ageing energy infrastructure; Extended life and optimised operation of existing equipment
Throughout this project, Ameresco has helped Beckfoot Trust understand and monitor their energy consumption, by replacing inefficient equipment and lowering their overall carbon consumption. Ameresco’s services include development of an investment grade proposal, implementation and project management, and post-completion measurement & verification. This project’s energy conservation measures include:
- LED Lighting Replacement and Lighting Controls
- Building Management System Upgrade and Optimisation
- HVAC Optimisation including Variable Speed Drivers (VSD) Installation, A/C Controls and Pipework Insulation
- Equipment Operating Schedules Optimisation
- Building Fabric Improvement
- Renewable Energy for the Trust: 246 kW Solar PV Installation
- Boiler Upgrade and Optimisation
- Water Conservation including Pool Cover and Filter System Upgrade
- Transformer Tap Down