Fourth Quarter 2011 Financial Highlights:
• Revenue of $188.5 million, an increase of 5.1% year-over-year
• Net income of $8.2 million, an increase of 7.1% year-over-year
• Net income per diluted share of $0.18
Full Year 2011 Financial Highlights:
• Revenue of $728.2 million, an increase of 17.8% year-over-year
• Net income of $34.7 million, an increase of 20.9% year-over-year
• Net income per diluted share of $0.78
FRAMINGHAM, MA – February 29, 2012 – Ameresco, Inc. (NYSE:AMRC), a leading energy efficiency and renewable energy company, today announced financial results for the quarter and fiscal year ended December 31, 2011. The Company has also furnished prepared remarks in conjunction with this press release in a Current Report on Form 8-K. These prepared remarks contain supplemental information, including non-GAAP financial metrics, and have been posted to the “Investor Relations” section of the Company’s website at www.ameresco.com.
Total revenue for the fourth quarter of 2011 was $188.5 million, compared to $179.3 million for the same period in 2010, an increase of 5.1% year-over-year. Operating income for the fourth quarter of 2011 was $12.1 million, compared to $12.5 million for the fourth quarter of 2010, a decrease of 3.2% year-over-year. Operating income for the fourth quarter reflects approximately $3.5 million in charges taken during the quarter related to Savannah River operations and maintenance (O&M) startup costs, an inventory write down, acquisition costs and restructuring. Fourth quarter 2011 adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP number, was $17.4 million, compared to $15.8 million for the same period in 2010, an increase of 10.1% year-over-year. Net income for the fourth quarter of 2011 was $8.2 million, compared to $7.7 million for the same period of 2010, an increase of 7.1% year-over-year. Fourth quarter net income per diluted share was $0.18 in 2011, compared to $0.17 for 2010.
“Ameresco delivered strong full year financial results for our second year as a public company,” stated George P. Sakellaris, president and chief executive officer of Ameresco. “Our sharp focus on our customers’ needs for comprehensive energy efficiency services and budget-neutral solutions, particularly in today’s environment of aging infrastructure and budgetary constraints, helped drive our organic growth. We believe we are well positioned for the future as we continue targeting our goal of growing revenue and earnings by 15 to 20 percent per year on average over the long-term through organic growth and strategic acquisitions.”
For the full year ended December 31, 2011, Ameresco reported total revenue of $728.2 million, compared to $618.2 million for 2010, an increase of 17.8%. Full year 2011 operating income was $50.2 million, compared to $46.0 million for 2010, an increase of 9.1% year-over-year. Operating income for the full year reflects approximately $4.7 million in charges taken in the third and fourth quarters related to acquisition costs, customer payments, Savannah River O&M startup costs, and an inventory write down. Full year 2011 adjusted EBITDA was $67.0 million, compared to $59.9 million for 2010, an increase of 11.9% year-over-year. Net income for the full year 2011 was $34.7 million, compared to $28.7 million for 2010, an increase of 20.9% year-over-year. Net income per diluted share was $0.78 for the full year 2011, compared to $0.69 for 2010.
Additional Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2011 Operating Highlights:
• Revenue generated from backlog was $597.8 million for the full year 2011, an increase of 17.9% year-over-year. All other revenue was $130.4 million, an increase of 17.5% year-over-year.
• Operating cash flows were $43.8 million for the fourth quarter of 2011, compared to $27.2 million for the fourth quarter of 2010, an increase of 60.7% year-over-year. Full year 2011 operating cash flows were $32.0 million, compared to $20.8 million for full year 2010, an increase of 53.7% year-over-year.
• Total construction backlog was $1.22 billion as of December 31, 2011 and consisted of:
• $478.2 million of fully-contracted backlog, which represents signed customer contracts for installation or construction of projects that are expected to convert into revenue over the next 12-24 months on average; and
• $741.2 million of awarded projects, which represents estimated future revenue for projects that are expected to be signed over the next 6-12 months on average.
• The Company continues to expand organically as well as through acquisitions. In addition to opening six new offices in 2011, we also made three acquisitions. Applied Energy Group enhances our service offerings to utilities. APS Energy Services, now known as Ameresco Southwest, expands our footprint in the southwestern United States. The businesses we acquired from Energy and Power Solutions, Inc., xChangePoint® and energy projects, expand our service offerings for private sector commercial and industrial customers.
• The Company continues to develop Ameresco owned and operated small scale renewable energy power plants, with two in construction and four in the design phase as of year-end 2011. The Company is also expanding its experience in developing small scale renewable energy power plants for customers, with four such projects currently in the design or construction phases.
• In December 2011, our marquee project at the Savannah River Site Biomass Cogeneration Facility in Aiken, SC received its Final Acceptance Certificate from the U.S. Department of Energy Savannah River Operations Office for the completion of construction of the facility installed under the ESPC awarded to Ameresco in May 2009.
FY 2012 Guidance
Ameresco expects to earn total revenue in the range of $800 million to $825 million. The Company also expects net income for 2012 will be in the range of $39.5 million to $42.5 million.
We are now providing guidance metrics that are consistent with our long-term goal of achieving revenue and earnings growth of 15-20% per year on average.
Ameresco will hold its earnings conference call today, February 29th, at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time with President and Chief Executive Officer, George Sakellaris, and Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Andrew Spence, to discuss details regarding the Company’s fourth quarter and full year 2011 results as well as business outlook and strategy. Participants may access it by dialing domestically 888.680.0893 or internationally 617.213.4859. The passcode is 37818893. Participants are advised to dial-in at least ten minutes prior to the call to register. Those who wish to listen only to the conference call webcast may visit the "Investor Relations" section of the Company's website at www.ameresco.com.
Pre-Registration for the call is also available at:
https://www.theconferencingservice.com/prereg/key.process?key=PBA8Q4GUH. Pre-registrants will be issued a pin number to use when dialing into the live call which will provide quick access to the conference by bypassing the operator upon connection.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This press release and the accompanying tables include references to adjusted EBITDA, which is a non-GAAP financial measure. For a description of this non-GAAP financial measure, including the reasons management uses this measure, please see the section following the accompanying tables titled "Exhibit A: Non-GAAP Financial Measures". For a reconciliation of adjusted EBITDA to operating income, the most directly comparable financial measure prepared in accordance with GAAP, please see Other Non-GAAP Disclosure in the accompanying tables.
About Ameresco, Inc.
Founded in 2000, Ameresco, Inc. (NYSE:AMRC) is a leading independent provider of comprehensive services, energy efficiency, infrastructure upgrades, and renewable energy solutions for facilities throughout North America. Ameresco’s services include upgrades to a facility’s energy infrastructure and the development, construction and operation of renewable energy plants. Ameresco has successfully completed energy saving, environmentally responsible projects with federal, state and local governments, healthcare and educational institutions, housing authorities, and commercial and industrial customers. With its corporate headquarters in Framingham, MA, Ameresco provides local expertise through its 62 offices in 34 states and five Canadian provinces. Ameresco has more than 900 employees. For more information, visit www.ameresco.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
Any statements in this press release about future expectations, plans and prospects for Ameresco, Inc., including statements about pipeline and backlog, as well as estimated future revenues and net income per share, and other statements containing the words “projects,” “believes,” “anticipates,” “plans,” “expects,” “will” and similar expressions, constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including demand for Ameresco’s energy efficiency and renewable energy solutions; the Company’s ability to arrange financing for its projects; changes in federal, state and local government policies and programs related to energy efficiency and renewable energy; the timing of work Ameresco does on projects where it recognizes revenue on a percentage of completion basis; the ability of customers to cancel or defer contracts included in our backlog; an ability to enter into a contract for an awarded project on the terms proposed; the effects of our recent acquisitions; seasonality in construction and in demand for its products and services; a customer’s decision to delay the Company’s work on, or other risks involved with, a particular project; availability and costs of labor and equipment; the addition of new customers or the loss of existing customers; and other factors discussed in Ameresco’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2010, filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on March 31, 2011. In addition, the forward-looking statements included in this press release represent Ameresco’s views as of the date of this press release. Ameresco anticipates that subsequent events and developments will cause its views to change. However, while Ameresco may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, it specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing Ameresco’s views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
Download a PDF of this Release